12/18/15

Regarding Shinhwa, iKon and fandom colors.

So, today YG Entertainment unveiled rookie group iKon's official light stick the "konbat".

CWfnKh9U8AAwLMb.jpg:large


Now everything was good and dandy until some fans started to notice it's similarity in color to the official color of Changjos, the fandom of veteran group Shinhwa.


And thus was the start of World War Three between the two fandoms. The situation escalated even further after a statement regarding the issue of fandom colors was tweeted by Shinhwa member Eric:

CWglJThUEAEsdRB.png


Now, before I go on, I liked to add that iKon's official color has yet to be announced. In fact, prior to the release of the "konbat", a lot of people assumed that it was going be red, based of their album artwork and teaser designs. So, this entire thing might be a non issue all together when it's finally announced to be "firetruck read" or "burnt orange" or some other crayola-eqse title. However, going on the assumption that it is in fact orange, I wanted to give my opinions on some of the issues at hand.


Aren't fans over reacting?
    In my opinion yes and no.  This situation eventually happening was inevitable; as more and more groups debut, it's going to become harder and harder for groups to find a unique colors to give their fandoms. By the time we reach 2017, this will probably be an issue every other week. Rather than a color, I think symbols and logos are more reasonable to identify by because they have a wider range at which they can be personalized. 

    At the same time, I also have to acknowledge that's just my perspective because fandom color never meant anything to me. It's not a special sentiment at all.Therefore, it's harder for me to empathize and understand why fans hold it closely to their hearts. I mean, there's a lot of things in my life that hold lots of sentiment, that most people wouldn't understand, but I would hate for them to be dismissive of my feelings because of that. Not to mention, Shinhwa is an older group, and with the whole idea of "out with the old, in with the new" I can kind of see why Changjo's would be uneasy. While respecting their views , I have to say I really like G.O.D's Joon's opinion on the situation:

CWgv3O7UAAI21Tj.jpgCWgv3PLVAAE4bss.jpg

Was Eric's tweet childish?:
I don't think it was the most appropriate thing to do, but I he probably saw what was happening and felt the need to speak up in support of Changjos. However, rather than tweeting, he should have just contacted YG directly about the situation. The tweet may have gotten his feeling across but it wasn't really productive in actually handling the situation.

Should YG change the color?
I don't think so . I mean, if you look at the chart above, as long as YG is specific enough with the shade of orange (or red to be honest because it still looks more red to me), it should be fine. Plus, they have probably already created merch (in addition to the konbat) so changing everything now would be a waste of money.

That's all I have for now, but what are your thoughts? Do you think iKon needs to change their color or Changjos need to chill?

No comments:

Post a Comment